Most of us would have heard that dengue fever has no exact treatment, it is just managing the symptoms and waiting for the phase to pass. In the present situation, people are commonly suffering from Dengue fever. It is a mosquito-borne viral disease occurring in tropical and subtropical areas and is also known as breakbone fever.
What is dengue fever:
- Common symptoms are on-and-off fever with chills, body aches, headache, cold, cough, severe multiple joint pain, skin rashes, and generalized weakness. In severe cases, there will be bleeding and shock, which can be life-threatening. Dengue virus is transmitted by female mosquitoes mainly of the species Aedes aegypti. These mosquitoes are also vectors of chikungunya, yellow fever, and Zika viruses. Dengue is caused by a virus of the Flaviviridae family and there are four varieties (DENV-1, DENV-2, DENV-3, and DENV-4). Recovery from infection is believed to provide lifelong immunity against that variety. However, cross-immunity to the other serotypes after recovery is only temporary. Dengue virus has an incubation period of 5-7 days.
- Dengue has mainly 2 phases- the first one is the febrile phase where the patient will suffer from on-and-off fever with severe headache and body aches. The next one Is the critical phase where the patient will clinically improve but there will be plasma leakage from blood vessels due to increased porus diameter and fluid will be collected in the lungs and abdomen. Lead to a drop in blood pressure, decreased heart rate, and mainly reduced platelet count in the body leading to shock.
Treatment of Dengue fever:
- According to the world health organization, there is no specific treatment for dengue fever, usually, treatment is symptomatic. Normally doctors suggest consuming kiwi fruit, papaya fruit, and leaves to increase platelet count and to drink more fluids to maintain hydration. A viral infection will be taken care of by our body’s immunity for which Ayurveda medicine helps wonderfully.
Ayurveda for dengue fever:
- In Ayurveda, dengue fever is considered as Dandanka jwara as explained by acharya Madhavakara as early as the 7th century in his book Madhava Nidana. It has been described that a particular species of mosquito is the basic cause of the spread of fever called as Dandaka Jwara. He also states that it is more dangerous for children and elderly people.
- The research evidence state that Guduchi, Purnanava, Ashwagandha, Sariva, Trivruth, Draksha, Amalaki, shatavari, Nimba, and fresh papaya leaves affect thrombocytopenia, which will help to increase the platelet count.
- The next step is to improve the immunity of the body by kashaya prepared with Amrutha, Nisha, Ardraka, Maricha, and Tulasi. Drink the juice of papaya leaves daily twice, pomegranate juice, a soup prepared from drumstick leaves, and ginger tea.
- Regular use of Chyawanprash or ashwagandha lehyam will act as Rasayana to our body and help to boost immunity. Our ayurvedic treatment mainly focuses on treating the disease and most importantly preventing the disease by improving immunity.
In case of any viral fever, it is important to consult a qualified ayurvedic physician which is very biased in the present-day scenario as there is another market growing in the name of Ayurveda without Ayurveda. Hence Praana vaidya is a genuine initiative by qualified ayurvedic physicians and surgeons to cater authentic Ayurveda to the world.